- The effect of mass incarceration on employment, voting, housing, and health is profound and still poorly understood. Tweet
- Funding overwhelmingly favors health care over social supports, yet the traditional health care model is limited in its ability to help African-American boys and men. Tweet
- Health care practitioners, together with partners, must develop the capacity to recognize and address social determinants of health and be funded to do so. Tweet
- Making care environments more male-friendly and father-friendly is essential. Tweet
- Newer methods of health care communication, such as texting, are desired by men and should be offered. Tweet
How can clinicians help address existing health disparities and add to positive outcomes for young African-American men? The authors argue that, first, advocacy efforts are needed for public health and social supports to achieve health improvements at scale. Second, the advantages medical care can provide – such as reducing disparities in HIV, cardiovascular disease, and mental health – should be strengthened.